If you wish to register as a Patient with the University Medical Practice, please follow the link


If you have a new continuous cough, fever or a loss in taste/smell


 You are advised to go home and self-isolate without any testing for CORONAVIRUS, regardless of travel history or contact with confirmed cases

Please keep in touch through our Instagram and Facebook page:


Please see our COVID - 19 Privacy Notice explaining how we manage your data during the pandemic.

Evening and weekend appointments are available from the 4th July 2019 at Harborne Medical Practice for patients who are registered with University Medical Practice.

Please follow the Extended Access link to find out more.


Repeat Prescription ordering? 

Please take a look at "Clinics and Services"

Contraception Appointment?

Please book in with a member of our Nursing staff.

Changed Address?

Please update the practice if you have changed address or telephone number - it is vital that we have correct contact details.  Please select the Online Services from our Quick Links menu on the right. You must live within our practice area to remain registered with us - look at the practice area map in the New Patients tab to check where you live.

Car Park

The University has introduced Pay & Display around our car park at the back of the surgery. Patients attending the surgery for 90 minutes or less can park without charge in the car park area closest to the surgery.

Named Doctor

All patients have a named doctor and you will be informed who that is when you register for the first time. However we have an "open list policy" which means you are welcome to see whichever doctor you choose but we would strongly advise trying to see a consistent doctor, especially for long term health conditions. Please see here for more information.

We have had our Care Quality Commission visit - see their report on our services.

Medical Certification

The University has a system of medical certification for students based, primarily, on the assumption that most courses are designed to take account of minor illnesses and occasional periods of sick leave and that these episodes should not normally require a doctor’s note.

A standard University form has been designed to be completed by the student, followed by their doctor (see details below), for any period of absence due to illness at exam or significant assessment times or for significant medical problems at other times. You should bring a completed certificate with you to your appointment otherwise an unecessary delay will occur. A certificate will be issued only if the doctor thinks the condition merits it and note that a charge may be made for its completion.

The form may be signed by a GP, hospital doctor, relevant nurse or counsellor, who have been involved in your care.

Please note that a medical note is never needed so urgently as to require seeing the duty doctor. Please book an appointment with your usual doctor or the doctor who has already dealt with the problem.

Categories of Certification

1Significant medical problem. e.g. glandular fever, hospital admission or illness lasting more than 7 days.
1rAs 1 but retrospective i.e. applied for after the illness has ended or late in the course of the condition. This will carry significantly less weight with the University.
2On-going or chronic, significant illnesses e.g. diabetes, severe asthma, CFS etc. You will also need to book an appointment at Student Support Services at 3 Elms Road on North Campus to complete a Student Support Advice Form for forwarding to your department. In addition a letter may well be required by your department from the doctor completing the medical certificate outlining the effect of your illness on your studies.
3Sudden disruptive illness (only at exam time or during assessments counting towards your degree.)

Students must make their personal tutor/supervisor/mitigations officer aware of the impact which they believe that this illness has had on their performance in the assessment. This information should be provided as soon as possible and certainly before the meeting of the relevant Board of Examiners.

The University may well also require completion of a mitigation form as part of the process of illness assessment - this does not need to be seen by the health professional completing your medical certificate.

Download the University of Birmingham Medical Certificate

Note that if you do not tell us to whom the certificate should be sent (at the top of the second page), then the completed form will be left in reception for you to complete.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website